Frequently Asked Questions About Mental Health Concerns

I think my child is dealing with a mental health issue. What can I do to find out for sure?

Call us, or visit our walk-in clinics. We will be happy to discuss your concerns and help you decide if more Mental Health services are needed.

Are your services confidential?

We work hard to respect your right to privacy and confidentiality. We seek your permission to share information with others. We are required by law to share information in certain circumstances – like if someone is in danger. Please read our confidentiality and privacy policies for more information.

What can I do to support my child /youth as he /she deals with mental health worries?

For children and youth dealing with mental health issues, it works best when they have a supportive team, and you are a key player on that team. How do you help?
• Your hopeful attitude and confidence in your child’s ability to overcome challenges
• Your exposure to the key skills and information needed so you can reinforce what your child is learning
• Your love and support when things seem tough
Our staff will include you in the treatment process as much as possible and help you feel equipped for your vital role on this team.

We have divorced, and we don’t always agree on what is best for our child, even when it comes to mental health needs. Can the Maltby Centre help?

One of the ways to best help address a child’s mental health worries is to have parents working together as a team. If you are separated parents who share custody, we will first help build this integral “team”. Please talk to us about how we can help.

I am worried that my child is suicidal. What should I do?

Do not delay in reaching out. Tell us right away about your concern so we can connect you to a counsellor who can help assess the situation.

My child refuses to attend counselling, but I am very worried about him/her. What can I do?

Many of us do not feel comfortable reaching out to a counsellor. And sometimes parents’ own experiences lead them to be more worried than their child in a given situation. The Maltby Centre can still help by consulting with you over the phone, via our walk-in clinic, or by finding other ways to reach out to engage your child in services.

I have been using mental health services at the Maltby Centre and have not felt them to be very helpful. I would like to express my concerns. How can I do that?

We want to understand the nature of your concerns so we can provide the services you need. Your counsellor will listen and try to make services a better fit for your needs. If you are uncomfortable talking directly to your counsellor, you can also:
• Call and ask to speak to a program manager who will help process your complaint
• Visit the "What is the Maltby Centre" page under "About Us" to start a complaints process

Find Autism Resources Now
613.546.8535 | 1.844.855.8340


Board Login
Forgot your password?